I used to live on cereal bars for snacks, especially when exercising a lot but once I realised what ingredients went in them and found out what they did to my blood sugar levels, they went straight out of my diet! However it is nice to have something healthy that you can just grab and go so try out these bars which are high in protein so keep energy levels nice and stable, as well as great for repairing muscle after exercise. The added bonus is that they are plant-based, gluten-free and vegan and you know exactly what is in them!
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, blended into a flour
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup protein powder (I used hemp powder)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup peanut butter (or use any nut butter of your choice)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs
- Stir together oats, oat flour, protein powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add in peanut butter and maple syrup, stirring well to combine. Mixture will be rather thick and dry so add in a splash of almond milk or water if necessary.
- Stir in chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs, distributing evenly.
- Press the mixture into a wax paper-lined baking tray, smoothing down with fingers or a rolling pin.
- Place in freezer for about 10 minutes for bars to harden up. Remove and cut into 20 medium bars or 40 bite size.
- Store in the fridge or freezer wrapped tightly.